The premise of using field based technologies is to add efficiency, solve problems in the field where they happen and communicate internally and externally as quickly as possible. Information from the field, and being able to respond quickly, is integral to our success as landscapers. Sadly, many companies do not believe that their field employees are capable of using technology to add value from the field.
Here’s a secret – many of those same employees use mobile apps in English and Spanish on their personal devices daily – sometimes even hourly! They register for Apps with passwords and credit cards – they download, play and share music – they text and add photos or downloaded images. These capabilities and activities are almost identical to the requirements of so many of the newest business Apps that are available.
Not only are these employees capable of using mobile apps but they actually enjoy being more included in more sophisticated elements of the business process. Here are a few tips to leveraging your field force more effectively:
- Introduce the App and train 1-4 field based employees.
- Let them know they are an important part of a Pilot Program.
- Set expectations of exactly what their role is, how often reports need to be done and when they need to be completed by.
- Review and provide coaching on App usage and reporting.
- Celebrate successes by calling out employees who have used the app consistently and correctly – maybe even with rewards!
- Use those employees to now help train other employees as you roll out the App.
- Be sure those employees communicate what’s expected from users (i.e., what reports, how often etc.)
- Make the App a company requirement so the team knows what’s expected.
- Enforce and reinforce team reporting requirements (i.e., Lets review your reports… One report is missing… what happened… Great job all reports were complete)
Regardless of language, education level or computer literacy, Cappsure was built to tear down these barriers and allow you to leverage the knowledge of all of your field based employees who touch your client’s properties the most.
You can’t be everywhere – so leverage the employees who are!
Mike Martinez is owner and president of Newtex Landscape Inc. Mike is also a founder of Cappsure – a mobile field app especially created for the landscaping community. For more information go to www.home.cappsure.com or reach Mike directly at email@example.com